By Andrej Frizler, Technical Director at TA Europe The opinion is my own, founded on three years experience in this project. The sources are public announcements and press. 350 kilometres between two glamourous metropoles, the first of its kind in SEA. One of the very few worldwide. The competition for delivery of this prestigious project, … Read more
Rail & Urban Rail
TA Europe’s team is led by Andrej Frizler, who has provided technical advice on a variety of different rail projects in the world. With our services, we help to improve the quality of rail systems and reduce the risk for investors and lenders.
TA Europe believes that transporting goods and people by rail over short, mid to long distances is the most environmental and economical way. However, in comparison to roads or highways, this involves a higher initial capital investment.
Thus, only large cities with strong economies can boast a Metro, Light Rail Transport (LRT) system or alternatively a fast railway network between cities.
A successful rail project is required to pass many impossible gates, we find that major risks and challenges in the rail sector are:
- Concept – The initial decision for or against a system has many severe implications in a further project course.
- Feasibility – At first sight, unimportant technical details can sometimes decide the fate of a project. Only experience can help to recognise those potential pitfalls.
- Funding – How to structure a bankable project is an exceptional skill.
- Procurement – Designing procurement framework so that a strong competition employs their best resources.
- Construction – To build on time and budget, to the required specification.
- Manufacturing – Supporting documentation is often underestimated.
- Integration – Rail systems bring together various stakeholders and parties. The integration of them all in a well-functioning system is a difficult task.
- Commissioning – To eliminate the initial defects to welcome the first user.
- Operation – To provide a safe and reliable journey.
- Maintenance – To find the optimal balance between heavy and routine maintenance.
Our infrastructure team has been involved in the building of new rail networks as well as the improvement of existing ones. TA Europe’s skill is to recognise, as well as, quantify and qualify risks to allow improved judgement decisions.
Using our international experience and expertise, we can understand comprehensively the operational, performance and full life cycle of a rail project. With this, our goal is to help authorities, investors, banks, manufacturers, operators and users to come together in a successful and sustainable rail-based infrastructure project.